Reaction wave polymerization

Reaction wave polymerization is a process that I first observed at the BFGoodrich research and development center when I worked there on high-performance epoxy adhesives for aircraft (I was a research technician). My boss Carl Weber (to my knowledge) was the first person to observe this process. Later on I decided to make it my dissertation topic In graduate school at the University of Akron. My work was fairly succinctly summarized in a published paper that I'm linking here. from 1985 in the Journal polymer process engineering.

Reaction wave polymerization was the second idea that took me over for a number of years. The first idea was a modification of the ice maker heatpump. The ice maker heatpump idea got me into studying chemical engineering, where I gave papers three years in a row in the student AICHE meetings. I did finally give a paper at a scientific Conference on green technologies in construction in Tucson Arizona; at least I know that there is a paper preserved in a library somewhere, and eventually I will find it. 

Virtually my whole life, at any given phase I was motivated by a particular project or invention. It is a really good way to learn about things. In addition to the life-changing deep deep interest that I developed for certain areas; I have also entertained ideas that were more of a passing nature. I intend to post on this blog site a lot of those ideas as well. 

I have frequently returned to the idea of reaction wave polymerization during my career. I want to mention in particular that I filed several SBIR grant applications looking for support to develop this technology. I am going to link an excerpt of one of those SBIR grant applications, which was to the Air Force in the year 2008.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal note about moving out

Rethinking Tomorrow Vision Statement for the Blog

Arctic Ocean flushing and its climate implications